Sunday, August 23, 2009

Salsa Time

Trying to winnow down our over-producing tomato stock today, I decided to make homemade salsa. Fortunately, we had all the ingredients on hand and I bought the Mason Jars Saturday night.

I started with the tomatoes - some yellow, some red, some German and a few Heritage ones thrown in for good measure. About the only thing that didn't go into the mix were the grape tomatoes.

I began by dicing them into small rectangular pieces and then bringing it to a boil for five minutes.

Next I cleaned and food processed five onions, diced cilantro and jalapeno peppers from the garden and prepped the jars by washing, scalding and then holding in the oven at 200 degrees until needed.

After tossing some salt into the mix and stirrring all to beat hell, I began adding everything but the hot stuff into the jars -- first, three Mild jars and then six Medium (peppers) and finally, three HOT (peppers and the seeds).

All that was left was boiling the filled jars for 10 minutes each and applying the labels so I wouldn't give a Hot one to someone who only liked Mild...

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

nice tomatoes!
i enjoy your pictures.
-ben