Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Animal Lives Again

Two days ago SisIggy asked if I would look at our Dyson vacuum and see why it wasn't working anymore. She told me, I turned it off when I began smelling rubber burning. She also said the suction wasn't very good either.

I finally had time this morning to investigate the problem.

Our model -- appropriately called The Animal -- as it is designed to handle dog hair (which those in the know, know we have six of them), was sitting on the living room carpet. I took a quarter to open the screws on the face cover and found dog hair (what's new) tightly wound around the beater. Interwoven with the hair was purple yarn, remnants of Sis' many knitting projects. The yarn, apparently, was also interwoven around the rubber belt that connects the beater with the motor.
Two hours later, I had it apart, the beater cleaned and everything back in place. I called SisIg to let her know that it now worked and that I had finished vacuuming. She then told me, I saw the yarn and thought I had gotten all of it.

Most of it, I replied.

As for the lack of suction, I found a slightly bent back felt pen wedged in one of the purple attachments that allows one to remove objects that shouldn't be sucked off the floor. It now runs just like new.

This posting, which reflects good news around here is also for the benefit of IH, who refuses to pay what a Dyson costs in favor of a less-expensive vacuum that when it breaks you throw it away and buy another.

Our four-plus year old Animal is as good as new.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, I will not pay $500+ for a housecleaning tool. I have only two dogs and one room of carpet. And I gave up Martha Stewart housekeeping with I turned 50. Besides, a fancy machine like that would startle the spirits living in my old house and we like to keep them happy. IH