Saturday, February 14, 2009

Making My Bride Happy

I could have given SisIggy the ride she always has wanted.

This balloon floated over our house yesterday and I was able to snap a couple of shots...

But I had a better and less expensive idea for her for Valentine's Day. Not that I'm cheap but we all need to be more frugal in these tough economic times. I went to the local grocery store, purchased fresh ingredients (most items were on sale) and prepared a romantic dinner for two.



(The Heirs both had dates also. Heir I prepared his date a Ramon Noodle casserole and Heir II had a candlelit picnic for his girlfriend).

What I finally came up with:


Spring Garden Mix sprinkled with Feta Cheese with Ranch Dressing on the side
Beef Sirloin grilled rare over an open flame
Baked Idaho Potato garnished with Butter and Sour Cream
Strawberry Parfait topped with Whipped Cream

It might not make the cover of Bon Appetite or even Kevin Weeks' blog but I thought the dinner was a nice touch for my bride tonight in honor of our 22nd year together. We've been married for 21 years but I proposed to SisIggy back on Valentine's Day, 1987.

Those that have known us all that time already know the story on how the proposal was made. For those who don't, here it is:
I took an ad out in the local newspaper where she worked taking obituaries from local funeral homes.

I was one of those who called obits into the papers and one day in 1986, I had the honor of calling in five obits to her. By the fifth one, she swore I was making them up just so I could talk to her.
We continued our phone calls for a few weeks and then I asked her out.

Our first date was Oct. 10 of that year and I proposed the following February.


The ad, by the way, generated an article in the same newspaper that was picked up by the AP and sent to newspapers and other media outlets around the world. We had our 15 minutes of fame and then some and then we settled into a cozy life where we have raised two fine boys into manhood and can appreciate a nice quiet dinner for two - at home - without spending too much money.

We did have our Hallmark moment - we watched a movie afterwards on the Hallmark Channel.

No comments: