Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Goji's Are Berry-Berry Good

Several weeks ago Heir 2 was rooting around the pantry trying to find some fruit to put on top his trough of cereal. Shortly I heard him ask: What's a GojiBerry?

SisIggy explained it was a dried fruit I had found at the end of one of those display aisles at COSTCO last year. Dirtymon claims they taste like raisins, SisIggy exclaimed.

I was able to chime in that It tastes good with cereal and milk.

The Heir tried it, proclaiming he liked it too, the latter comment bringing a smirk to SisIg's face.

Heir 2 continued eating the berries for several days before reading the label's Best By Date.

These things are out of date, Heir 2 exclaimed as he tossed the remainder of the bag in the trash.

Fortunately, I was close at hand and retrieved said bag. If no one is going to eat them, I would offer them to the birds.

Later that week, when we were running out of suet cakes, I tossed a handful into the feeder. The woodpeckers and assorted other species quickly gobbled them up.

Today, out of cakes again, I filled the hopper and as I type this, I am anxiously awaiting for the first bird to grab a berry and proclaim the gold mine has once again opened.

My only regret is when it is gone, that feeder will be retired until the fall as the suet cakes are expensive and the birds go hog wild with them. The last 2 cakes lasted less than a day!

No comments: