Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Veggie Tales

Gardeners, like fishermen, sometimes tell a whopper of a story about how big a vegetable has grown in his garden.

I remember back to when SisIggy and I were dating and how proud I was of a 24-inch long, eight-inch diameter zucchini I had grown in my chicken manure pile. I had been nurturing it for about a week, watering it every day.

Oh I was so proud.

Until Sis took it and tossed it in the trash.

Zucchini should never get more than six inches long, she told me.

Lesson learned.

So to my surprise yesterday when I ventured to the Victory Garden down in the west 40. I was there Monday and saw one onion that would be ready soon; two small green tomatoes and a lot of blooms on the tomato plants; several flowers on the zucchini and cucumber plants.

But no where was there anything on the peppers.

Then Tuesday I found this: A four-inch long sweet bananna pepper.

I got on the cell and called Sis, who was inside the house ranting about VDOT. I asked her to bring the camera to the fence so I could take a few shots proving we somehow managed a green thumb after all.

Sis wasn't content with that, however.

I've seen what you can do with Photoshop, Dirtymon, she said as she fought off the dogs long enough to slide through the barrier.

She arrived at the garden with me and saw for herself. Everyone else will have to see the pics below and trust they are originals and have not been altered.



Besides, would I ever tell a tale?

No comments: