Thursday, December 4, 2008

It Always Comes in Threes

First it was no water because someone clipped an electrical utility pole in half. It took Dominion Virginia Power almost seven hours to fix.

Next, no water because there was a leak in the cistern. It took the landlord three days to get someone here to fix it.

For the past week or so the kitchen sink would back up whenever we drained the water after washing dishes. I was planning to buy a chemical to unclog it but after talking to my dad, he said to check the P-trap, which I did when I got home Tuesday evening.

The trap literally disintegrated in my hands.

I immediately called Dad. He arrived within the hour and off to Lowes we went for the repair parts.

Unfortunately, the drain baskets also needed replacing and now Lowes was closed.

We scheduled time yesterday afternoon to finish the task and, after two more trips and six more hours, the sink is back to normal.

We also found the real reason for the original problem -- the drain pipe in the basement was completely clogged. It was worse than the suspected cholesterol clog in my arteries; I mean there's no wonder any water was flowing.

We also cleaned the P-trap for the tub while we were at it and now, we believe, there is nothing else that needs to be replaced.

At least that's the thought right now.

Thanks to SisIggy for allowing me to copy her photo of the sink. In all the excitement of the past two days I forgot to snap a single photograph of the escapade.

No comments: