Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What a Way to End the Year

Yesterday I had the honor of working. And what made it specially nice was I got to work with both Heirs.

That may not seem like much to many of you but it's a known fact business has been slow in the construction industry for some time now. The job was in the woods in the middle of nowhere and was one I originally started back in July.

Since then, I've been waiting for the survey plat, which finally arrived early last week -- when the rains came in deluge form.

Finally, yesterday, the soil was dry enough so we could perform saturated hydraulic conductivity evaluations (Ksats) on two of the proposed onsite sewage disposal system sites I had found this past summer.

That's right. We waited for the soil to dry so we could make it wet again.

The Heirs loaded I's truck with all the equipment and, after traveling to the site, the Heirs carried all the equipment into the woods. Heir I's an old pro at running Ksats having worked for me one summer. He says the Ksats are the best job in the world as he only has to work about 10 seconds every five minutes and can spend the rest of the time playing a mobile video game.

He set up his station and I showed Heir II how to set up the second. My job was to auger the eight borings to the proper depth and watch the Heirs watch the water saturate the soil and make sure everything went smoothly.

It was a long day but as I stated earlier, it was one of the best days I've ever had as I was able to be with my two wonderful sons.

No comments: