Monday, December 29, 2008

Picking NFL games not as easy as it seems

In another life I worked part-time as a newspaper sports reporter. Each fall, the staff made predictions on the various high school, local colleges and NFL games. And it seemed, each year I would end up in last place.

One August, Heir II told the sports editor he thought he could do better than me. And that year, Heir II's photo was in my place on the sports page every Friday along with his predictions. Not so surprisingly, when the season was over Heir II found himself in the middle of the pack.

This fall, I decided to come out of retirement and try my hand at predictions of the NFL games with a group of eight men and one woman who frequent a message board run by a guy from Wisconsin.

Once again I started slow and even won a week or two but after the regular season concluded Sunday I found myself in familiar turf -- near the bottom of the pack.

We still have the playoffs to go but at this stage my fight will be with the board's moderator and the nice lady from the midwest who, after a very poor week, found herself dropping three spots to last.

Wish me luck as I try to move up the NFL pick ladder.

3 comments:

jagosaurus said...

This is a dark art at best but entertaining. But as a lifelong Steelers fan, I always bet on black...and gold.

Failing that I like to put my faith in a Manning.

Dirtman said...

Jag,
I never could root for the Black and Gold but I have a lot of friends who do. Thanks for coming to my blog and thanks for posting too. You are one of the few who do...

What's with Trash? She never comes on here.

Sorry about Clemson. I was rooting for the ACC... haven't been a lot to root for this bowl season. Hope the Hokies turn it on later this evening.

jagosaurus said...

Clemson lost because Cullen Harper thinks he is a better quarterback than he actually is. I have been ranting about that for several hours now.

Trasherati is up to her ass in alligators all the time. I don't know if that will ease off in 2009 or not.