Monday, April 27, 2009

The Bloom - Part 2

With the first weekend festivities around us (a wine and craft festival on the downtown Mall - which I didn't partake), the main week is upon us.

Traveling through Winchester this afternoon I made a pit stop behind the near-vacant Wards Plaza to watch the Food Lion Apple Blossom Midway come to life.

Only a few of the rides provided by Powers Great American Midways, were already up and tractor-trailers were still arriving. I was able to get this photo (right) of the slide with the Vortex in the background as well as this shot of the Scrambler (they call it the Sizzler) still in its compact moving trailer.

I even saw this kiddie ride (right) consisting of four bears. What they do is beyond me but it reminded me of John from Wisconsin, Michael C., Mark A. and Rebel for some reason.

Carnivals have always fascinated me. I remember as a boy watching the local amusement company arrive Sunday afternoon for the Firemen's Carnival. It would take the rest of the day Sunday and all day Monday to set up the rides and even then, some didn't open until Tuesday night.

Now the trucks arrive, a few buttons are pushed, jacks are set and a couple hydraulics are placed in position and a ride can be assembled in a matter of minutes. Rest assured, Powers will be set up in plenty of time to be inspected by the state and open for business tomorrow night. It will stay open during the entire festival and if it's like past years, the midway will be filled to capacity.

I have many memories of carnivals and most are pleasant.

I remember a Scrambler speeding up one night at our hometown county fair making everyone aboard sicker than a dog. It was the last year for that carnival at the fair. The next year a new company was hired and they stayed with us for over 25 years. The owner's sons and I became friends and their children played with mine when the came in recent years.

I remember when my wife bought me my first K'Nex set (at the age of 35) and I was able - with the help of the Heirs - to build a working Ferris Wheel.

If I had it to do over again, I would run away with the carnival. Or own one. Either way, if I see one being set up, I will stop and think about times gone by.

1 comment:

idog0698 said...

I would love to see any setup photos you have, of your local firemens carnival, or of powers. I am a big carnival lover myself.