Monday, July 13, 2009

It's Finally Over And I Don't Want to See Another Dogperson for 362 Days

The past week has been a harried experience, travelling from Dirtmanland to Berryville for our kennel club's annual dog shows. It all began Thursday when we prepared the grounds for the show followed by more cleanup activities Friday.

SisIg, who's the trophy chair, and I left the abode before daybreak Saturday and Sunday for the drive, arriving before 7 each morning. We parted, as I had to get everything set up that couldn't be done the day before. For some reason or other I have been Grounds Chair for the past four years meaning I do whatever no one else in the club is willing to do.

Armed only with a golf cart and an occasional assistant, I move from one end of the 27-acre fairground to the other. Sometimes, I have to move equipment. At other's it's to provide direction to someone and then, a call goes out that one of the judges needs a ride and off I go again.

Each night we arrived home and were too tired to do anything else but sleep. Last night, I dozed in my chair for several hours; then went to bed where I awoke at 3:30 am and couldn't get back to sleep.

Oh well. I should be plenty rested for the next shows - scheduled July 10-11, 2010. But there will be plenty of work to do in the meantime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now just think of the calories you've burned hoppin' around and the tan you have. Kept you out of trouble. You should have brought the golf cart back, we could use it to patrol the neighborhood! IH

dirtman said...

The cart wasn't mine or I would have. It had a nifty tray in the back to haul stuff. We could have slapped a farm use sign on it and gone across the highway delivering zucchini and such.