Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Where Were You on 070709?

I'll always remember where I was when I heard Kennedy was dead (home, right after getting out of primary school); when Reagan was shot (teaching school; told not to tell the kids so as not to upset them); and now, where I wasn't when Michael Jackson was eulogized.

The answer to that was as far away from it and the tube as possible.

He and I may have shared the last name but that's as close as it will ever be. I never could sing like him; dance like him or perform the moonwalk like him. I also never touched a kid like he was accused of touching and that's a good thing.

I was joking with SisIg this morning that today was Jackson's Epiphany, ie., the 12th day following his death. It has taken Michael Jackson's family longer to bury him than it took to bury Ronnie Reagan and Jerry Ford combined. And now it looks like his funeral will also be a governmental-paid affair too -- unless Jackson's fans pony up to the bar and send in a contribution to the city of Los Angeles.

Lord knows they could use it.

2 comments:

Gwynne said...

I will remember it as the birthday I spent glued to the television. So sad. ;-)

John said...

A money maker even in death