Friday, May 22, 2009

Dad To The Rescue - Again

All it takes is a phone call and he drops whatever he's doing and gets in the car and drives the 35 or so miles to our place to get us out of another bind.

That's my dad. And, unfortunately, I don't say thank you enough.

When we moved into these new digs a year ago I brought along my self-propelled mower, which was OK for a small yard. But, here at Dirtmanland, we have almost an acre of grass to mow on a weekly basis.

And with two Heirs unwilling to mow -- even when their mother attempted to do it to help me out -- we knew a rider was needed.

We were rescued by my dad, who brought us an antique rider he had in storage. He told us then, that with a little TLC, the Murray would last us through the crisis.

It did last year and for several mowings this spring until the mower blade belt gave way. Fortunately, dad had a spare he had bought years ago when he was told Murray parts and belts would no longer be available.

He came within an hour, installed said belt and we were back in action.

Meanwhile, I scoured the 'Net and found one could still buy Murray parts online. With that info, Dad asked a friend in the business whether he could get parts and presto, today dad arrived with a new pully assembly that won't chew up belts.

We got the south 40 and the east 40 mowed this afternoon after he left with a portable jack to fix for us. I'm sure I told him thank you but if I didn't, I'll do it here -- again -- because I don't know how we would have survived without his - and mom's assistance.

1 comment:

Darkgarden said...

Whoa!!! Someone's got a hellu thumb overhead!