Monday, May 18, 2009

Tolerating Ants

Several days ago while admiring the peonies growing in our side yard from my desk I thought I saw an ant on one of the buds. Going outside for a closer look, this is what I found:

Oh great, I thought. Now I need to spray the peonies before the ants invade us again on the inside of the house. We had a big infestation earlier this spring and it took a mountain of bug killer to rid us of the creatures.

Fortunately, I asked SisIggy to research this phenomenon and get back to me. She Googled Ants on Peonies and was forwarded to this website which directed her to the Heartland Peony Society site where she found this forum that answered my question.

Thank God for the Internet.

2 comments:

Gwynne said...

I couldn't open the forum link, but do the ants help to open the peony buds? Our peonies haven't popped yet, but I always see hundreds of ants crawling around...on the buds, and on our kitchen counters...I assume you did not dispatch the ants. 8-}

Dirtman said...

Gwynne.
Sorry you couldn't open it. It has a wealth of information on all things Peonies...

Yes, according to the society, the buds would not open if the ants weren't there to do whatever it is they do.

Once we read it, we left them to do their thing and hope they have the good sense to stay outside after they buds completely bloom.

As a precaution, I don't think we'll cut any and bring inside. We had a big ant attack earlier this year and sprayed seven dust around the perimeter of the house (except where the peonies are since it's right next to the leaking cistern. When they reappeared in mass in the kitchen and bathroom, I found a nice $10 spray that supposedly will last three months. We sprayed and haven't seen one inside since. :)