Thursday, October 16, 2008

What to Do This Weekend?

SisIg and I were sitting at our partner's desk this morning each on our own computer reviewing blog comments and whatever else we do before the sun comes up. A passing comment from Sis started:

Sis: "Saturday is your birthday. What do you want to do?"

"I don't know," I said. We had talked earlier in the week about Charles Town Races this weekend and the running of the West Virginia Breeders Classic. But with no money that wasn't an option.

We had also discussed this was the weekend for the annual Shenandoah Valley Hot Air Balloon & Wine Festival at Long Branch. Sis and I along with Dark and John-Boy had attended last year and left disappointed, especially with the snootiness of the Northern Virginia crowd and that the only way to drink wine was to buy the even snobbier glasses. We got around that by using coke cups and even passing the bottle around the group. We got around the cork with a penknife.

"You think Dark and JB will be up for that again?" I asked.

"I wouldn't even want to ask," Sis relied.

Later, Thursday morning the water guy showed up with a load for the cistern. He and I have become friends, since he's always bails me out with the tank goes dry and Sis or one of the Heirs decides the toilet needs flushed.

He told me that he was busy the rest of the week hauling water to the Cedar Creek Battlefield for the annual re-enactment. After he left, I came back into the house and told Sis what I wanted to do.

"We're doing Cedar Creek this weekend," I said.

"OK," she replied with a slight roll of the eyes.

"We can go all three days," I added. "Make a weekend out of it. I'm sure the Darks and JB will want to do it too."

"Your birthday is only one day," Sis returned. "ONE DAY."

I checked out the web site and found the cost.

"It's expensive to watch men fight each other," I said. "$20 tickets. I wonder if we can park on US Rt 11 and watch from the hill."

The battle starts in the afternoon on Saturday with an encore performance Sunday.

"Hope they finish killing each other before 8 pm," I added. "Tech is on ABC Saturday night against Boston College. I don't want to miss that!"
Sis again rolled her eyes before adding, "So you aren't going to do anything special for your birthday."

"Guess not," I answered.

3 comments:

Darkgarden said...

Hmm... I'll tell ya what. I'll let ya know if I can see it from my back yard!

Dirtman said...

Thought you would have game...

Darkgarden said...

OH I got game. (See your lastest post.)... I am just in BAD need of game in front of my grill along with much beer.